Friday, July 31, 2009

Lessons Learned....

So, one can argue that I did not fully complete my staycation with the goals I started with. I did not thoroughly clean the house (but anyone who really knows me knew THAT just wasn't gonna happen!) I did however, get some cleaning done and begin the cathartic process of cleaning out the baby stuff. Thanks to our economy and price of health insurance, we are probably done having children and it's time to make room for a new chapter in our life! I have two beautiful boys and have lots of friends and family who have little girls so I can get my pink out there!

I did learn some important business lessons this week, which is really what I wanted to do. I am slowly still learning what genres I want to focus in and where to put WHAT in each shop! (This is what happens when you take on too many crafts and you are a shop addict.) I learned that sometimes you have to step away from things and people to save your business.

I also learned what is MOST important--FAMILY. You can make friends online, you can be tight with people, or THINK you are tight with people and then you see sides of them you never wanted to see. But what is really important is your family and those nearest and dearest to you. Making them happy, cultivating good relationships with them and doing a job you are proud of, and makes them proud is more important than anything.

We have a lot of nastiness in this world and I don't want to contribute to it anymore than need be. Now, don't get me wrong...I enjoy snark. Good snark, happy snark, snark for a greater good. I will never ever be mean to someone just to mean! If I ever offend anyone, I want to know so I can rectify the situation. That doesn't mean I will change how I FEEL or what I BELIEVE (as my lovely liberal brother knows! But we can disagree in LOVE and open discussion!) But I would never intentionally hurt anyone. Sadly, not everyone can make that claim, but this is our world and that's how it goes.

I also learned teamwork is important to me. So I am devoting more time to my personal baby, Handmade Louisiana. The artisans we have here (and who want to be here but physically can't) are amazing and their work deserves my full effort. I also will always love my Cafemommers and can't WAIT to get back into the buzz on that team! I've missed you guys this staycation!!! (Search Etsy and Artfire for "cafemom team" and "handmadelouisiana")

I've also realized something else I love dearly--MUSIC!! Although I am getting a tad too old for late night outings (but DAMN Benjy Davis was AWESOME last night...blog review on HandmadeLouisiana soon!) I can absolutely devote more time to Chris Huff, an amazing indie musician who I am proud to intern for. Commence HuffMusic World Domination Tour.

One of my favorite musicians is Marc Broussard and he does not keep his mouth shut on what he believes on politics and life, even if it is to the contrary of the norm. And for that, I respect him even more. He stands up for what he believes in, shares his talent with us, and fights for what he believes in. I would like to do the same.

I hope everyone is at peace, happy and doing what makes them happy, because I sure as hell am trying hard to do that. I wake up, see my beautiful kids, and if nothing else goes right ALL DAY--I can still go to sleep knowing things will be alright.

So be true to yourself, be firm in what you believe and NEVER let negativity and lies ever get you down!!

~~Amy

3 comments:

Merry said...

Excellent post. I am glad you found what you were looking for during your staycation :)

Elizabeth said...

Man Amy! I really wish I would have read your post earlier this week. I really needed a lifter. You are right, we all need to stop and appreciate what we have.
I have been caught up in a lot of anger lately over certain things in my life, but it is time to let go and turn my face to the wind while the sun shines down. Thank you for your beautiful post.

Beth Ann said...

Well said, Amy... You DO have to pick and choose and you have been blessed with two boys who love and need their momma's attention too.

Keep following your dreams and loving your family and know you do have true friends...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails