Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Response from Congressman on CPSIA

FINALLY got a response from my congressman...sounds okay!

Dear Amy:



Thank you for your correspondence regarding the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA).
It is an honor to represent the First Congressional District of Louisiana, and your thoughts and
concerns are very important to me.


As you know, CPSIA was approved by Congress and signed into law by President Bush on August 14,
2008. Along with establishing consumer product safety standards and requirements for children's
products, this legislation reauthorized the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).


I understand your concerns about the possible negative effects this law could have on small
businesses. While sellers of used children's products are exempt from the certification process,
manufacturers and merchants that make new products are required to have their goods independently
certified that their products meet the new safety standards, a process that many small businesses
will have trouble affording. You will be interested to know that I have signed on as a cosponsor of
H.R. 1815, the Consumer Product Safety Solutions Act. This legislation gives the CPSC the flexibility
to clarify certain definitions and grant some exceptions for small businesses. It also mandates the
CPSC to establish testing methodologies and permits component part testing. Please know that I will
continue working with my colleagues in Congress on policies that improve CPSIA.



Thank you again for contacting me. I invite you to visit my website at www.scalise.house.gov for
more information. You can also sign up for my e-newsletter, the "Scalise Capitol Report," by clicking here.
Please do not hesitate to contact my office in the future on matters of importance to you.





Sincerely,







Steve Scalise

Member of Congress

2 comments:

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

Well that's something!

Wendy Romero, MSW, LCSW said...

I like this letter & I'm glad he's cosponsoring. Hadn't heard of the Consumer Product Safety Solutions Act.

I especially like this part -- "some exceptions for small businesses....& component part testing."

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails