Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Hand Stitched Yoda Pillowcase Tutorial

Hi!! I have been meaning to do something like this for some time, and I finally decided to go for it the other day and make a little something special for my little man.

Materials:

Pillowcase (I used a white one, cotton)
Disappearing Ink Marker
Embroidery Floss
Needle and threader (helpful with floss)
Cardboard
Printed Image (in this case, Yoda)
Embroidery Hoop



Slide the cardboard/posterboard under the top layer of the pillowcase so your ink doesn't go through to the bottom layer.

Position the printed image on top of the cardboard, but underneath the fabric, so you can trace your image with the disappearing ink marker.

Pin things down so you can trace without the paper sliding.


Once you've traced out everything you want to trace, you can start stitching. Remember that the ink usually disappears in a few days (check your package instructions), so don't draw more than you can stitch in that time frame.

Now, here's where I fake it....I honestly have no clue about embroidery. I've no idea if there are tricks, methods, plans, etc. I have sewn, crafted and done a lot in recent years, but I've never really embroidered much.

So, put the fabric in the hoop, simple stitches, following the traced line.

It was quite fun to see his little jedi face emerge.



Getting closer....

All in all Yoda's face only took 2 days, I think. I unhooped it in between though, so there wouldn't be a bit crease.

Now remember how you drew his face? Now go print some font you like for the phrase you want. Or if you have pretty hand writing...hand draw the words on. (I do not...)


And start stitching again. and ta-da....DONE!
.


I have a very happy Star Wars obsessed child. I didn't tell him I'd finished it, I just put it on his bed like this. He ran out and said, "Thank you mommy I love my new pillow!!!"

Now his little brother has requested an R2D2 pillow...phew...need to rest my hand and get some crochet done before I start another pillow.

Enjoy!~~Amy


4 comments:

Pat said...

So very cute...bet your little guy loves it!

Amy said...

Thanks, he does!!

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

That is adorable - you are an awesome Mom :)

Amy said...

awww thanks!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails