Monday, July 25, 2011

Run, Mama, Run

(First published 722/11 on my other blog, Real Housewives of NOLA.)

There are many facets to my personality. I am a mother and wife, first and foremost. I love to sew and create. I’m perfectly happy staying in and learning to crochet. At the same time I love to go out and hear a live concert, the more southern soul the better. I can make a mean martini and like my coffee so strong the spoon stands up. I live life gluten free, aim to save money and am THAT annoying lady with the coupons in front of you in Wal-Mart. I founded Handmade Louisiana and this very blog. So stands to reason I’d add yet another facet to my life. But this addition will hopefully help me live a long and healthy life!

I am becoming a runner.

Now, I’ve been told if you actually say it, repeatedly, accept it, and broadcast it, you are more likely to stick with it and actually bring the goal of running to fruitition. So I’m saying it. I am a runner.
Granted, right now I can only run literally, less than 2 minutes at a time. BUT- two weeks ago I couldn’t run 30 SECONDS at a time.  So to me that’s a great improvement! Considering I only go 2-4x a week, that’s great!

Right now I mostly run with my best friend of 24 years. She used to run in college so it will likely come back easier to her. I NEVER ran. I have always been fairly active…but of course years go by….you get lazy (or sedentary). Ironically, her brother is a marathon runner who has been trying to teach everyone he knows the benefits of running for years. Now, I’ll finally listen.

So we mostly walk. Fast, but still. Our time has steadily improved, even when we hadn’t run in 4 days. Our goal is to run for 30 minutes straight. I don’t feel the need to run marathons, just 30 straight minutes of good, solid running. The reasons are obvious. I’m getting older. If I don’t get my stamina in check now, I’ll be exhausted and not able to keep up with my boys. I realize the body ages and one day the knees may not be able to take running, but I’m going to do it the best I can, for as long as I can.

I also like the simplicity of running. I’ve tried various exercises. I worked at a gym as a young adult, so I did all the machines then. Nowadays, we can’t afford the gym membership, so it’s about free and easy. I have done pilates and yoga over the years, which are great for flexibility and some muscle building but I want to burn calories and stamina. And there is nothing simpler than putting one foot in front of the other.
So how do you like to work out? What workouts do you hate? Are you a runner? Have any tips for me? (besides getting a good sports bra..yeah….I totally learned that lesson.)

If you wish to follow my progress, drop me some encouragement, or push me when I need it, I’m on MapMyRide.com Let’s connect and run together, even if it’s virtually! :)
Now, get out there and run!
~~Amy

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails