Sunday, March 14, 2010

For the Love of Music...

If you read this blog, or know me in any way, you know I have a wee bit of an addictive personality. I am mucho addicted to fabric, sewing and craft supplies. You may or may not know I am also a music addict. I LOVE music. Especially live music. This is fairly recent to me, since my late 20's, perhaps because before that I was stuck on country music or oldies. (which I still love, but sadly, yeah sure can't see The Beatles live anymore can ya?)

This week my husband and I went to the John Mayer concert. It was my first time seeing him live, and my first MAJOR show in awhile. Generally the bands I see are more low key, playing clubs, or smaller venues. This was the first large production show I'd seen in awhile. (Fabric purchases cut into the concert budget....)

John Mayer is one of the FEW "Mainstream" musicians I like. Most of the musicians I love get a resounding "WHO?" when I tell people about them. But Mayer is the man. I admit...I had his first album from the get go, before I wanted to vomit every time I heard "Your Body is A Wonderland". (Is there ANY real Mayer fan who actually still likes that song? If you are one....I'll still like you but I just don't get it.)

John Mayer's PR person has obviously been smoking dope the past few years because John has gone from being an intelligent, smart alecky young man to looking like a bumbling, rude, well, ass. Thankfully I usually pay no mind to those sorts of things, because really...if I stopped listening to music, watching movies, etc because of how the people acted in tabloids..well I'd lead a very quiet life of sewing and books. (Mmmm perhaps I should pay more attention to them....)

But I digress....Mayer may have a big mouth and his intelligent wit may get the better of him...but he still is one of my generations most talented musicians. (This scares me that he is only 2 years older than me.) His ability to play that guitar is just mind boggling. His studio albums do not do him justice. He MUST be seen live. He is a master guitarist in my opinion and his band was fantastic. Steve Jordan on drums...wow. I don't even know how to describe it. And David Ryan Harris on guitar was amazing also! The entire touring band was amazing and the show was unbelievable...even with a little sound issue in which John went acoustic for a bit while the sound tech got it fixed!!

So if you're not a Mayer fan, well you probably already stopped reading this...but if you are..you really must see him live one day!

This will be an awesome year of concerts! John Mayer--done. Amos Lee in April, Marc Broussard in May (and probably again in the fall, he comes here a lot..who knows his schedule). Music....rocks my world.





Videos coming soon...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails