Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Humble Beginnings...

We are just starting our homeschooling journey, the boys and I. At the moment, it's just H and I home as E finishes up his time at the local Head Start. I'm enjoying this time with H to learn how we best can work together on this journey. I'm figuring out his learning styles, what works and what doesn't. Of course I suspect I'll be learning this ALL along the way! For a LONG time.

I have been busy setting things up, researching curricula, planning lesson plans and more. Here's a little sneak into what we're doing.

 My nerd organizing tendancies are paying off as I sort out paperwork, lesson plans, worksheets.

 I repurposed an old computer armoire into storing our work.

 Collecting books, folder games and work books for next year.

 Loving this book which shows how different every homeschooling family is.

 Some of H's apps that he can play.

 Math worksheets to use with dry erase markers.

 We love our local library for great educational movies. We also really like Veggie Tales!

 Repurposed an old music cabinet from E's preschool into an art/paper caddy.

 Box O' Craft Supplies.

 Also scored these great weather charts for free!! 

 Love these posters that show REAL math work, not the discombobulated "new math".

 Saved up for this beautiful Ten Commandments. Since we are writing scripture in the morning, H has been writing the commandments.

If I can keep on schedule, sometimes I cook dinner ahead of time so all I have to do is reheat when Daddy gets home!

We've attempted a few science experiments, including this failed grow your own crystal kit. It's still pretty though.


All in all it's been an interesting few weeks...getting used to everything. It'll definitely be interesting when BOTH are home full time. We are staying busy with swimming at the gym, PE classes at the gym, park days, skating, and other activities. Whoever said homeschoolers aren't socialized must have a grossly inaccurate picture of what goes on...I know I did!! 

We've had E home a few days with us and I am learning that it will be a struggle to juggle their schedules and learning styles/techniques. I may even have to work in shifts with them...working with one while the other goes off alone to do computer work, reading, etc and vice versa. It's definitely a learning experience for all of us!

I'm finding the homeschooling community fairly open and helpful, especially how homeschooler friendly the gym we joined is. We're not "the freaks" there, we are just another family.

My house has been a mess, but it was a mess BEFORE when they were gone all day! Dinner might be cereal some nights...but that happened BEFORE! I drank wine at 4 in the afternoon BEFORE....okay..bad example...

I have no doubts it'll be tough but it's worth a shot. It's an important decision I didn't take lightly! 
Come along with us on our journey, the good and the bad!! 
~~Amy

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails